SLT Approved Training Centre: Pool Lifeguard Course
Our six-day STA Pool Lifeguard qualification is our most comprehensive lifesaving qualification. On the course, you will learn essential skills including the theory of pool lifeguarding, supervision, the roles and responsibilities of a lifeguard and the risks associated with a swimming pool or leisure centre.
Once qualified, you will be competent and confident to perform CPR, first aid and aquatic rescue skills including fitness training, poolside rescue skills and spinal injury management correctly.
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be 16 years, or older, at the point of assessment
- Be able to jump into deep water
- Be able to swim 50 metres in under 1 minute
- Be able to swim 100 metres on the front and 100 metres on the back without stopping
- Be able to tread water for 30 seconds in deep water
- Be able to surface dive and recover an object from the deepest part of the pool
- Be able to climb out of the pool unaided without the use of steps or ladders
The course covers a range of subjects including:
- Created by STA’s lifesaving experts, providing you with quality training
- Training is in accordance with HSE publication Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations
- Regulated by Ofqual and Qualifications Wales
- Will give you the confidence and knowledge to deal with an emergency.
All the trainers are fully qualified and undergo ongoing training and yearly monitoring to ensure they are teaching to the required standards. The trainers add their own personality to make first aid a fun environment to learn keeping to the structure of the course. The trainers are equipped to change teaching styles and adapt to the groups learning needs.
Our training venue, Langley Swimming Centre, is just five minutes for junction 2 of the M5 in the West Midlands. Our training room & pools are perfect for a practical and theoretical training.
- The course is for a maximum of 12 candidates.
- The course includes instructor fees, manual for each candidate to keep and certification.
- A maximum of 12 students are allowed and must be a minimum of 16 years of age and a certificate can be offered to all, subject to assessment.
- A student cannot assume a responsibility in the workplace until they reach the age of 16, and then it is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that the student is suitable for that role.
Dates and Times
Our next course starts on Monday 17th February – Saturday 22nd February, from 09:00am - 17:00pm (times approx. and TBC by tutor nearer the time). To book your place call 0300 012 0121 Option 5 or email LangleySCinfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Candidates may be given the opportunity to apply for either a casual or permanent position within Sandwell Leisure Trust upon successful completion of this course (subject to recruitment opportunities).
All SLT Training Centre Policies & Procedures and Risk Assessments are available upon request. There include, but are not limited to; Equality & Diversity Policy, Complaints Procedure, Enquiries & Appeals Procedure, Malpractice Procedure, Whilstleblowing Policy, Safeguarding Policy, H&S Policy, Data Protection Policy, Reasonable Adjustments & Special Considerations Policy.
Register Your Interest
Personal Training Gift
Book those tickets now for our Christmas holiday sessions with NEW Christmas zone
An eight week, friendly running programme in Brunswick Park, Wednesbury