Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park.
This is probably the most exciting time for the park since it was opened in 1895. We have been awarded a £4.5 million-pound grant from the The National Lottery Heritage Fund’s Parks For People grant with the remaining balance from funded by Sandwell Council.
The lower level will be below ground opening out onto a new events area. The total floor space for both levels will be approximately 500m2. The roof will be a sedum green roof with a central light box that will reflect natural light into both the upper and the lower floors of the building and the small pavilion will remain in the park.
We will deliver a programme of outdoor and indoor activities as part of the Lottery grant. The programme will include sport, physical activity, art, nature, history and heritage.
If you'd like to find out more about the project or become a friend of the park, email email@example.com or call 0121 569 4247
Our plans include:
- Restoring the memorial to James Chance which is a Grade II-listed structure built in 1897
- Refurbishing the wall and piers and recreating gates and railings at the entrance gateways in West Park Road and Victoria Road
- Restoration of the drinking fountain
- Constructing a new pavilion
- Creating a new events area
- Constructing a new boathouse feature
- Upgrading the multi-use games area to include tennis courts
- Nature conversation improvements including woodland, grassland and wetland works
- New outdoor gym equipment
- Restoring the airmen’s memorial where a plane crashed in 1944
- The new pavilion will form the centrepiece of the restoration and the building will have toilets, a café, seating area and community areas that will be used for events and activities.
Follow the West Smethwick Park Facebook page for all the latest information
West Smethwick Park
West Park Road, Smethwick, West Midlands B67 7JJ
Call: 0300 0120121
Select an activity or leisure centre
Smethwick Brad tells us about his running journey & why you should sign up
Dog & Jog & Boot Camp prove to be great Autumn attraction