Swim Academy FAQ
Following the government’s announcement, we can confirm swimming lessons will resume from 2nd December 2020.
If you had previously returned to swimming lessons after 7th September 2020, your lesson day and time will remain the same.
Due to Tier 3 restrictions in Sandwell adult swimming lessons cannot take place at the moment. We will continue to monitor the Tier status of Sandwell and inform our customers of any changes accordingly.
If you have not returned since March 2020 and would like to return to swimming lessons, or would like to discuss starting swimming lessons with us for the first time, you will need to be enrolled on our updated programme that adheres to all government and governing body Covid-19 guidelines. Please email the centre with the pupils name (and membership number if you have one) as well as a contact name and number, and a member of the team will be in touch to arrange your new lesson.
Haden Hill Leisure Centre Hadenhillinfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Wednesbury Leisure Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
Portway Lifestyle Centre Portwayinfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Smethwick Swimming Cenre SmethwickSCinfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Langley Swimming Centre LangleySCinfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Tipton Leisure Centre TiptonLeisureInfo@slt-leisure.co.uk
Please do not attend your class if you or any of your family are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. You maybe asked to leave the centre and session with immediate effect by a member of SLT staff should they suspect you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19.
Here is a list of things you will need to know before your lesson, please read all of these points before you attend:
• Please do not enter the facility if you, or a member of your household, have or have had symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days or are in a situation where you should be self-isolating.
• You will be asked to leave the centre if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 whilst in the facility. If this happens, all Government guidance must be followed.
• Please maintain social distancing throughout the facility and do not congregate in groups in or around the centre. Please follow all directional signage and distance markings.
• Please use handwashing/sanitising facilities located throughout the centre and wash/sanitise your hands regularly.
• If you need to cough or sneeze, you should cover your nose and mouth with a tissue and put any used tissues in the bin. Failing this, you should cough or sneeze into a bent elbow and immediately wash your hands in all cases and avoid touching your face.
• Please bring minimal personal items into the centre.
• Only one parent/guardian to accompany swim academy member.
• Arrive in centre no more than 10 minutes before lesson begins – if you are early, please wait in your car/away from the entrance.
• Please come ‘beach ready’ and go onto poolside to de-robe.
• Be on poolside and wait in designated area 5 minutes before lesson time.
• Swimming Teacher will inform pupils of when they can move to lesson area.
• Lesson will be conducted following all covid secure measures.
• Please shower at home before and after the lesson and spend as little time in the changing rooms as possible.
• Following recent changes in Government and local Public Health guidance for leisure operators we are now required to ask all customers to wear a face covering when entering any Sandwell Leisure Trust facility from Monday 12th October. This includes in reception areas, changing rooms and toilets, corridors & stairways, spectating areas and when entering and leaving fitness studios and the gym.
If you have a medical condition which restricts you from wearing a covering, please let a member of the team know. As per Government guidelines children under 11 are not required to wear face coverings.
• Spectators must sit socially distant in designated spectator area and must not congregate in groups anywhere in the facility.
• Spectator seating is limited due to social distancing measures, first come first serve basis, no waiting in reception areas, over 8’s can be dropped off and picked up after lesson.
• Please ensure your personal details are correct and up to date on Home Portal.
• Where applicable, please clean equipment before and after use with cleaning materials provided. (e.g spectator seating)
• Toilet facilities to be used on an urgent needs basis, please ensure to have used the toilet before swimming lesson starts.
• Pupils to manage or have parent/guardian support with own hygiene and self-care such as blowing their nose, putting their goggles on, putting a swimming hat on, to reduce the need for physical contact with the swimming teacher.
• Please do not approach the swimming teacher. If you have any questions or queries, please email the centre on the addresses listed above
Swim Academy Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to come back to swimming lessons?
According to the scientific literature, there is no increased risk of contracting COVID-19 from swimming in chlorinated pools, and pool operators adhering to previously set guidelines will control risk from COVID-19. SLT have conducted Risk Assessments alongside external consultants implementing control measures, which will continually be monitored and reviewed alongside government and governing body guidance. An external Health & Safety Consultant has signed off centres as ‘Covid Secure’ from measures implemented prior to reopening.
With swimming lessons restarting in December, when will my direct debit payments start again?
All direct debit payments will resume from 4th January 2021 for swimming lessons.
How much will my first payment be?
This will depend on the membership type and the number of lessons received per week. As payment amounts can differ please contact email@example.com for the amount to be requested.
Novembers payment was taken but the centres were closed, what will happen with this payment?
Your account will be held in credit and this will be used for your first payment when swimming lessons recommence.
What will happen to any pre-paid swimming lessons I didn’t receive while the centres were closed, will I get a refund?
Block payers will still have the same number of lessons remaining as they did when we closed.
I want to sign up for lessons, can I do this now?
Yes! Please email the centre you wish to sign up to for lessons and a member of the team will get back to you to discuss available options.
Will my lesson day, time and teacher still be the same when swimming lessons restart?
If you restarted lessons with us from 7th September 2020, you will already be on our updated programme that adheres to all government and governing body guidelines, therefore your lesson day, time and teacher should remain the same. If you have not returned to swimming lessons since March 2020, you will need to be enrolled on our updated programme in which case your lesson day, time and teacher may change. Please email your centre and a member of the team will contact you to discuss the changes and options available to you.
If I am not ready to return to swimming lessons yet, can I suspend my lessons and will my current place be held?
If you returned/joined after 7th September 2020 you will need to notify firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not want to return in December 2020. Any lessons taken prior to the second lockdown will be calculated to see if any further payment is required. Anyone who has paid Novembers direct debit will have a one month credit on their account which can be used when you return, however we cannot guarantee places will be available when you do return.
If you have not returned since March 2020, you do not need to do anything until you want to come back, at which time you should contact the centre as normal. Details will remain on the system until 31st March 2021 then will be removed if you still haven’t returned.
I am concerned about social distancing in swimming lessons, how many will be allowed in swimming lessons when they restart?
This depends on which centre’s pool your lesson is in, however maximum capacities have been calculated following government and governing body guidance and all of our lessons comply. In addition, our swimming teachers will structure every lesson to ensure 2m distancing between pupils is maintained.
When should you arrive at lesson?
Please do not enter the centre more than 10 minutes before the start of your lesson. If you are early, please remain in your car/away from the entrance to support with social distancing.
My child has not been swimming for a long time and is nervous about returning.
We completely understand that returning to lessons after a long break will be difficult for some and there are things we will do to support this. Our friendly and helpful teams are available to answer any questions/queries/concerns you/your child may have. The first lesson back will be planned to introduce all pupils to their teacher, class and any changes that have been implemented to put pupils at ease. The lesson itself will involve reintroducing confidence practices, pool rules and water safety as well as fun activities to make your childs return to lessons safe, fun and enjoyable.
Are spectators allowed?
Spectator seating is limited due to social distancing measures in place. Only be one parent/guardian will be allowed to accompany your child. If your child is over the age of 8, you may wish to drop them off for their lesson and pick them up afterwards.
Do we have to wear a face covering?
Following Government and local Public Health guidance for leisure operators we are now required to ask all customers to wear a face covering when entering any Sandwell Leisure Trust facility. This includes in reception areas, changing rooms and toilets, corridors & stairways, spectating areas and when entering and leaving fitness studios and the gym. However you do not and should not wear your face covering whilst exercising. If you have a medical condition which restricts you from wearing a covering, please let a member of the team know. As per Government guidelines children under 11 are not required to wear face coverings. It is important to use face coverings properly and wash your hands before putting them on and taking them off.
Who do I talk to if I have a question about my childs lesson/progression etc?
To comply with social distancing, your childs swimming teacher will not be able to have any face to face conversations before, during or after lessons. Please email the centre if you would like to discuss your childs swimming lesson and the Activity Coordinator will be in touch.
Are changing rooms open?
Changing rooms are available, however where possible, please come ‘beach ready’ to limit the amount of time you need to spend in the changing room before your lesson. After your lesson, we recommend showering at home and to again spend as little time in the changing rooms as possible.
Are lockers available?
Lockers are available and will be regularly cleaned and sanitised, however cleaning stations will also be available for you to clean before and after use.
How will social distancing work in lessons?
All lessons have been planned to ensure social distancing is maintained. Maximum bather loads and maximum lesson capacities have been calculated, pupils will be stationed 2m apart, teachers will teach from poolside and will maintain social distance from others, lesson times will be staggered to reduce the number of people in the area at the same time, there will be no physical contact between teachers and swimmers (unless in an emergency), swimming teachers will be assigned to a section of the pool, thus minimising movement of groups around the facility, poolside signage will be in place to remind all of social distancing, some games/activities will be adapted for social distancing purposes. Pupils will also manage or have parent/guardian support with own hygiene and self-care such as blowing their nose, putting their goggles on, putting a swimming hat on, to reduce the need for physical contact and toilet use will be used on an urgent needs basis only so please ensure your child has been to the toilet before their lesson starts.
What happens if I have been told to self-isolate?
Anyone that has been told to self-isolate, should not attend swimming lessons (or enter the centre) and must follow government guidance. As per our terms and conditions, no refunds or credits are issued for absenteeism. Should long term illness or hospitalisation prevent you/your child from attending the programme, a letter giving details of the reason for absence should be written to the Chief Executive, who will decide if a credit should be issued for missed lessons up to a maximum of 4 weeks. If the illness is longer than 4 weeks then you will need to decide whether to remove yourself/child from the Swim Academy programme or continue to pay to retain the place.
Will teachers be poolside for all groups?
In line with governing body guidance, all of our lessons will be taught with the teacher on poolside. Where normally a teacher would be in the water, parents/guardians can be in the water to assist their own children at the direction of the swimming teacher if required.
Are showers available?
Showers are available, however we advise showering before and after the lesson at home to support social distancing in the changing rooms.
What extra measures are taking place in terms of keeping pools safe, clean & hygienic?
Firstly, no one should enter the facility if they, or a member of their household, has, or have, any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or are in a situation where they should be self-isolating and all government guidelines should be adhered to. We have increased cleaning frequency in all areas of our centres, social distancing measures are in place and hand sanitizing stations and cleaning stations are available throughout the facility. Equipment use will be limited where possible, however, all equipment used for lessons will be thoroughly cleaned before and after use, it will be allocated to individual pupils and will not be shared, and pupils will be discouraged to put any equipment in their mouths.
If I cancel will I lose my place?
Yes, however if you wish to return in the future, our teams will discuss all available options to suit your needs when you rebook.