'Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness' or that lovely ache you feel after a good workout!
If you haven't been active for a while, you have increased your workout intensity or have tried something new, the chances are you are going to experience sore muscles! This means that for a few days afterwards everyday tasks such walking up or down stairs or even popping to the loo can be an experience! We've all been there.... (if you know, you know!)
But please don't despair, this is a sign your body is reacting to your exercise!
Here are a few things you can do to help with those tired achy muscles.....
- Take time to do proper warm-ups and cool downs and have a good stretch afterwards
- Keep moving on your rest days, like taking a walk or going for a gentle swim
- Get down with a foam roller to roll out and stretch your muscles
- Sink into an Epsom Salt Bath
- Stay hydrated before, during and after your workout
The good news is more you exercise and the more active you become the less likely you are to feel the affect of DOMS. (You may even start to miss the feeling!!)
To make sure you are on the best training programme or for a review of your training programme book in to see one of our expert and friendly gym instructors.
Click here to meet the team